Air pollution creates a thick blanket of toxic smog, which causes an adverse effect on your lungs. However, it is nearly impossible to do anything about your city’s pollution levels, but with the help of Ayurveda, you can minimise the effects and keep the air in your home clean and breathable.
Ayurvedic remedies for air pollution
Turmeric is an extremely beneficial spice, which contains anti-bacterial properties. Therefore, consuming turmeric regularly will prevent the bacteria from the pollution entering your body and will kill them if they enter.
How to consume turmeric?
- Mix 1 tablespoon of organic turmeric powder with 1 tablespoon of raw and organic honey or pure ghee.
- Consume this mixture every morning, regularly, on an empty stomach.
Neem is an effective herbal plant, which gets rid of all the pollutants, providing a detoxing effect to your body. Consuming Neem leaves regular will purify your blood and the lymphatic tissue.
How to use Neem?
- It is important to remove all the pollutants stuck to your skin and hair. Therefore, you must take a bath every evening with neem water.
- To prepare neem water, simply boil some neem leaves in water and use it to wash yourself.
- You can also start eating 2-3 leaves twice a week.
Tulsi contains several medicinal properties and is known to be extremely beneficial for our health. Tulsi also comes to your rescue when it comes to pollution and prevents the pollutants from entering your respiratory tract.
How to use tulsi?
- Boil a handful of tulsi leaves in water.
- Once the water is boiled, let it sit for a few minutes and strain it.
- Drink the liquid every morning to shield yourself from air pollution.
When there is a rise in air pollution and you breathe in the harmful air, an imbalance is created between your three doshas. To restore the balance, boost your immunity, and prevent the negative effects of pollution, you can use Triphala.
How to use Triphala?
- Mix 1 tablespoon of triphala with 1 tablespoon of raw and organic honey.
- Consume this mixture every night before you go to bed.
Pippala is an extremely beneficial herb to help purify your lungs. It promotes easy breathing and prevents lung infections. This is because this super-herb contains rejuvenating properties, which are very effective. However, you must not feed this herb to infants and it must not be taken for more than a week.
How to use pippala?
- Mix ½ teaspoon grated ginger, ½ teaspoon organic turmeric, 1 teaspoon pippala powder, and 1 tablespoon of raw and organic honey.
- Consume this mixture with warm water in the mornings.
Other Ayurvedic tips to reduce the effects of air pollution
- Practice breathing exercise, such as pranayama, kapalbhati and jalneti.
- Drink pomegranate juice regularly as it helps with blood purification.
- Take some steam with 4-5 drops of eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil.
- Make sure you consume pure ghee every day.
- Include broccoli, fennel, ginger, green tea and cinnamon in your diet.